Current and projected cancer incidences... What is happening?
Updated: Oct 24, 2020
Australia, 1 in 2 Australian men and 1 in 3 Australian women will be diagnosed with cancer by the age of 85. (www.auw.cancer.org.au/)
According to estimates from the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), there were 12.7 million new cancer cases in 2008 worldwide. Of these, 5.6 million occurred in economically developed countries and 7.1 million in economically developing countries. The corresponding estimates for total cancer deaths in 2008 were 7.6 million (about 21,000 cancer deaths a day), 2.8 million in economically developed countries and 4.8 million in economically developing countries. By 2030, the global burden is expected to grow to 21.4 million new cancer cases and 13.2 million cancer deaths simply due to the growth and aging of the population, as well as reductions in childhood mortality and deaths from infectious diseases in developing countries. (Press Releases - American Cancer Society Media Room)
World wide cancer incidence and projections
What has been happening to cancer incidences? Is this just something that is happening because of an ageing population?
Trends in incidence of childhood cancer in Australia, 1983–2006
For all paediatric cancers and for both sexes combined, there was a consistent
increase (+0.7% per year, 1983–2006 in Australia ) (cancer council Queensland)
(Graph 2 based on figures taken from Br J Cancer. 2010 Feb 2; 102(3): 620–626)
After adjusting for changes in the population, the incidence rate of all childhood cancers combined in Australia has increased significantly by a total of 35% between 1983 and 2014.
Looking at this data suggests that the increases in cancer are not just the result of an ageing population. Clearly, if we are going to start to undermine this trend (which is not only affecting the aged), then we need to identify its causations and deal with these.
In fact a study published in the Lancet Oncology: Global cancer transitions according to human development index ( 2008-2030), a population based study. The Lancet, Volume 13, Issue 8, pg. 790-801, August 01,2012., - predicted that cancer incidences would have increased by 75% by 2030 .
Currently (2020), every second male and every third female will contract cancer in their lifetime. If that increases 75%, it means that almost every male and approximately half of all females will be getting cancer in their lifetime by 2030.
Suggested causes of increasing cancer levels in todays society (2019)
1. Environmental = Pollution...
Chemicals: go into soils, rivers, oceans (pesticides, disinfectants & other chemicals). Affects foods, vegetables, animals. This also includes plastics dumped into oceans/waterways, which go into fish and the food chain.
BPA (most cans lined with BPA)- bisphenol A , an epoxy resin coating the insides of cans.
Phthalates can be in cans as emulsifiers/stabilising agents, linings of fastfood containers.
Pollution in the air goes into all other systems (ie. water and land).
2. The toxicities of western medical drugs (Chicken, Pork, other animals given antibiotics to prevent disease - creates toxin build up in meats).
3. Human society = stress/pressure society
This is especially true for our children. Excessive academic expectations on children nowadays. Creates a lot of stress for the children. Stress affects health.
4. Junk food
White flour, refined sugar, hydrogenated oils, cold dairy products, greasy foods.
5. Inappropriate use (excessive use) of electronic equipment (computer, T.V, mobile).
6. Increase in U.V radiation (ozone layer depletion) and increased exposure to radiation from medical testing and radiation therapy. Increases likelihood of cancer.
All of these factors will reduce immunity, increase toxicity of the body and
hence increase the likelihood of disease.
In terms of prevention of disease. Chinese herbal medicine can be used to improve immune system function and eliminate toxic build up in the body - reducing the likelihood of developing disease. This can be further assisted with the use of Reiki Healing, which can be
learned in a few days. Reiki is now incorporated into hundreds of hospitals in America.
Effects of Reiki Energy:
1. Reiki supports and accelerates the bodies natural ability to heal itself. Increases immune function. Strong immune system protects against development of disease.
2. Vitalises the body and soul. Energise the system to build health.
3. Re-establishes spiritual equilibrium and mental wellbeing.
4. Functions on all levels = mental, spiritual, emotional & physical.
5. Balances the bodies energies.
6. Loosens up blocked energy and promotes a state of total relaxation. Energy flows freely. Assists blood flow.
7. Cleanses the body of poisons (toxins).
8. Adjusts itself according to the needs of the recipient.
9. Works with animals and plants.
10. Is an extremely pleasant holistic method of healing.
The information contained within these blogs is not presented with the intention of diagnosing or prescribing, but is rather offered for educational purposes and for promoting health in co-operation with your physician. No responsibility is taken for the use of any of the information in these blogs without the co-operation of your physician. No guarantees are made concerning the effectiveness of any of the treatments described in the blogs on this site.